Friday, April 1, 2005

BIG NEWS: Tony, Michael Schumacher will switch rides for 2006 season

Drag racing champ Tony Schumacher, left, and Formula 1 ace Michael Schumacher will switch careers for the 2006 season.

Tony “The Sarge” Schumacher and Michael Schumacher have a lot more in common than just their surnames. Both drivers have dominated their respective series over the last few years and in a shocking development this week announced plans to trade rides next season.

“Let’s face it, “ said Tony Schumacher, who pilots the U.S. Army Top Fuel dragster in the NHRA POWERade Drag Racing Series, “Michael and I pretty much have had our way with the competition lately and, frankly, it’s getting a bit boring having to hoist those Wallys and pretend to still be excited after all of these wins. Michael feels the same way over there in F1, so we think this exchange will give us both something to look forward to on race day.”

Michael Schumacher, who drives for Ferrari in Formula 1, agreed. “It’s has been a tad tiring lately having the adulation of millions of fans around the world cheering my every breath. I guess I’ll run this season and win 10 or 12 races, then jump into Tony’s car next year. I’ll probably win 10 or 12 over there, too, but at least the trophy will be cooler.

On Tuesday, June 14, just prior to the Formula 1 series making its annual stop at Indianapolis Motor Speedway (IMS) for the U.S. Grand Prix and the NHRA tour hitting Englishtown, N.J. for the K&N Filters SuperNationals, the drivers will get their first preview of their 2006 rides. Tony Schumacher will jump into Michael Schumacher’s Ferrari for some hot laps on the road course at IMS, while Michael Schumacher will strap into the U.S. Army Top Fuel dragster for some quarter-mile bursts at nearby Indianapolis Raceway Park.

“I’ve been considering leaving drag racing for open wheel racing, so this is the chance of a lifetime,” said Tony Schumacher. “I can’t wait for June 14 to get here. I’m going to be driving a Formula 1 car and hanging out with Michael Schumacher – you can’t get any better than that. Heck, I even named my second son after the guy.

“Also, finally, we can end the debate over who is the world’s best Schumacher. I’m really ecstatic that Michael agreed to do this. I just wonder how he will react to going over 300 mph. I bet he wets his pants the first time out.”

From NHRA.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment