Monday, September 25, 2006

Sunoco Team Ultra 94 driver Daniel Morad ‘clean sweeps’ final weekend


MOSPORT, ONTARIO – Sunoco’s Team Ultra 94 has once again captured the Bridgestone Racing Academy Championship – for the fourth straight year. The 2006 champion is Sunoco Team Ultra 94 driver Daniel Morad. Morad had an amazing season, capturing 195 out of a possible 196 points. Morad won every race he entered – seven – and collected seven poles, and six fastest race laps.

“I am really happy to win this championship,” said Morad after the finale on Saturday at the Mosport DDT. “What Sunoco, Ron Fellows and ASN Canada have put together – allowing us to compete on a full scholarship – is great for all of us that get to take part. I am happy to win this championship for Sunoco Team Ultra 94.”

Morad was closely followed all season by fellow Ultra 94 driver Kyle Marcelli. Marcelli had a strong season, and finished second in the championship. “It’s great we were able to win this championship for Sunoco,” said Marcelli. “I got closer to catching Dan at the end of the season, but he was dominant all year. Congratulations to him.”

Devin Cunningham finished fourth overall, and he talked about his year after the final event. “I had some races I could have won, but things happened. The main thing is I learned something every weekend and I think that is the most important thing. Thanks to Sunoco, Ron Fellows and ASN Canada for this opportunity.”

Adriano Bilotta finished out the year strong, with a fifth place in the final tally, and he – like the rest of the Ultra 94 drivers – was happy with the end result. “I learned so much this year, “ Bilotta said. “I got off to a bad start – with the crash – but I felt much stronger towards the end of the championship. Like my teammates, I am grateful for the opportunity to compete here, thanks to Sunoco and Ron.”

Morad’s championship is the most dominant to date for the team. After missing the first two rounds, Morad was on a charge, and showed from the first weekend he meant business. “At the start, I just wanted to catch up, but missing the first two races was not good for my chances,” Morad said of his mindset early on. “But I started getting poles, getting fast laps, and winning, so each weekend I could catch up, then I thought I could win it,” Morad added.

Coming into the final weekend, his main concern was his teammate Marcelli. “Kyle is fast, and I knew I had to do my best to win the championship. Three wins basically did it for me on the final weekend.” Morad said.

On October 24th, the Sunoco Ron Fellows Karting Championship will hold its annual Evaluation Day at the DDT, to decide who will represent Sunoco’s Team Ultra 94 in 2007.

Sunoco Team Ultra 94 fast facts;

The Sunoco Team Ultra 94 drivers are chosen from over 300 drivers in the Sunoco Ron Fellows Karting Championship Presented by Toronto Star Wheels. Out of the 300 drivers, a number of them are invited to the Sunoco Ron Fellows Karting Championship Evaluation Day. From those, three or four earn scholarships to join Sunoco's Team Ultra 94 for the following year.

The selected drivers are given a fully funded scholarship to compete in the Bridgestone Academy F2000 series. Sunoco also sponsors the series and is proud of the school’s 13 year injury free record, the personal coaching, and the track time that the drivers receive.

In 2003, inaugural team members Matt Champagne and Jordy Vorrath finished one-two in the series, with Vorrath taking the ‘most poles’ award. Aaron de Heus came home fifth in the 2003 championship. The 2004 members were 2003 Formula Senior Champion Juliana Chiovitti, multi-time Formula Senior race winner Frank Launi, who won the 2004 championship and consistent Rotax Max Senior front runner Jamie Holtom. Frank Launi won the championship in 2004, with Jamie Holtom finishing third.

The 2005 team consisted of 2004 double class winner Marco Di Leo, Formula Senior race winner Matt Pritiko, and Formula Senior driver Robert Wickens. Di Leo posted an impressive 7 wins in 9 starts on his way to the championship, just beating out teammate Matt Pritiko, who finished second in the championship. The 2006 Sunoco Team Ultra 94 drivers are Adriano Bilotta, Devin Cunningham, Kyle Marcelli and Daniel Morad.

Release prepared by Russ Bond Agency // photo by Ed Gatner

No comments:

Post a Comment