Thursday, June 16, 2005

FORMULA BMW: Robert Wickens scores win and podium at Canadian Grand Prix

Courtesy Russ Bond Agency (www.russbondagency.com)

MONTREAL, QUEBEC Cameron Motorsports/MMG Financial Formula BMW driver Robert Wickens took his first win in the highly competitive Formula BMW championship Sunday at Montreal.

"It is a great way to end the weekend," Wickens said. "I have had so much support from my Apex Racing USA team, Bob Cameron of Cameron Motorsports and F1-K International, Malcolm McMaster of MMG Financial, my brother Trevor, and my mom and dad. They were all here this weekend and this win is for them."

Wickens started out his weekend with a strong podium run in round five of the series, taking the third step on the podium. "I knew there was a lot left in the car, and our Apex Racing team did the right changes to make us faster for Sunday," Wickens added.

For the Sunday morning race, round 6, Wickens lined up sixth on the grid, and got caught out on the first corner. "I made a good start, but got pushed out wide in turn one and fell back to ninth," Wickens said. "I just put my head down and started to drive my way forward." By lap 6, Wickens took the lead with a dramatic pass into the hairpin going from third to first.” I was really late on the brakes, but I made the move stick. From that point I was able to put in some good laps to control the race."

Wickens built a gap of 3.8 seconds which shrunk on the final lap as he just wanted to get the car home in one piece. "I just said to myself, 'don't mess up the last lap', so I backed off a little.”

It was a very mature drive from the 16-year-old, and Cameron Motorsports Bob Cameron had high praise for his young charge. "We knew he could do it," Cameron said. "For a new team to this series, and a new driver to have a weekend like this is just fantastic for all concerned. We always knew Robert could win here, and now he has. We couldn't be happier with his and the team's performance this weekend."

It will be a short week for Wickens and his Apex Racing USA team as they will head to rounds seven and eight this weekend at Indy, site of the US Grand Prix, which happens to be a hometown race for the Apex Racing USA team.



Photo - Left to right - Jeff Horton, Josh Wise, Dave Pleus, Malcolm McMaster, Robert Wickens, Barry Walkup, Jim Exline and David Hunt - photo by Lise Wickens

No comments:

Post a Comment