Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Kevin Lacroix: Victory in Montreal

Courtesy Richard Galarneau, Lacroix Racing Team

Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve, Montreal, June 14th – Kevin Lacroix, of AIM Autosport, earned the most important victory in his career Saturday when he took the checkered flag for the third time this season. The victory happened on the fame circuit Gilles-Villeneuve as part of the Canadian Grand Prix in front of family, sponsors and friends. Lacroix continued his winning streak with his third victory in as many BMW programs, always on Saturday. The taste of victory was short-lived as he had to withdraw on the first lap of the second race on Sunday morning after an encounter with another competitor while trying to overtake for second place. The 16 year-old driver from St-Eustache nevertheless increased his lead to nine points in the standings. He will get now ready for the double header this coming weekend in Indianapolis.

“That first victory in Montreal was very exciting, said Lacroix. Competition was fierce and I had to concentrate after taking the lead at the end of the first lap. My Uni-Select car was very good and I increased my lead lap after lap. This is a moment I will never forget: to win in Montreal and get my trophy from Dr. Thiessen, the head of BMW Motorsport. The media was also very nice to me. I also met with influential people that were impressed with my victory.’’

Although he started from second row, Kevin needed only one lap to take the lead. Kevin is known for his quick and impressive starts and overtaking on the first lap is never a problem. After he took the lead, he managed the gap between him and second place Summerton, increasing the distance by a few cap lengths every lap.

Sunday morning mishap Race number two had the same scenario going: Kevin started from fourth again, passed for third in the first corner and was about to overtake for second at the hairpin when there was a wheel contact between him and Daniel Herrington. Kevin adds: “I was beside him as we exited turn 10 and he was following the track edge. At one point the tracks bends to the right before the long stretch. That’s when the contact happened and my suspension was bent. My race was over. I feel very sad for my crew because my car was capable of winning again. We have to turn the page and look ahead to Indianapolis.”

No comments:

Post a Comment