Friday, October 13, 2006

GREAT NEWS: Benny Parsons announces he's "cancer free"


MOORESVILLE, N.C. – Lowe’s named legendary race car driver and NBC broadcaster Benny Parsons the honorary millionth member of the Team Lowe’s Racing Fan Club on Friday. With almost a million members, the fan club is one of the largest, if not the largest racing fan club in the world.

“Benny symbolizes what is good about the sport of NASCAR and why we think our customers have joined the fan club and made it one of the biggest racing fans clubs around,” said Bob Gfeller, senior vice-president at Lowe’s. “It’s a natural fit to select someone who has given so much to NASCAR as our honorary millionth member.”

Lowe’s Chevrolet driver Jimmie Johnson and Rick Hendrick joined Parsons at the Team Lowe’s Racing Fan Experience on Friday at Lowe’s Motor Speedway where Johnson presented Parsons with a framed cover of a special issue of Track Record – the quarterly fan club magazine.

“Benny is one of my heroes,” Johnson said. “I’ve also gotten to know him over the years and I am glad to call him my friend.”

Lowe’s also made a $10,000 donation in Parsons’ name to the Blumenthal Cancer Center which serves western North Carolina as well as the southeastern United States.

The Blumenthal Center has played a key role in helping Parsons in his fight with lung cancer. Parson’s Oncologist Steven A. Limentani attended Friday’s ceremony and accepted the check on behalf of the Blumenthal Cancer Center.

“This is an honor for me,” said the 65-year-old Parsons who owns 21 Nextel Cup victories over his 21-year career. “It’s hard to believe a fan club in NASCAR could generate a million members and to be the honorary millionth member is gratifying. I certainly appreciate the support racers like Jimmie, fans, and sponsors have shown me over my career and especially in the last few months. Lowe’s donation is certainly appreciated and I hope it will do a lot of good for people fighting cancer.”

Parsons said Limentani gave him “the best news ever” this week.

“Three months ago my family doctor called me into his office and told me I had lung cancer. So Rick Hendrick told me if I was going to fight cancer you have to get Steve Limentani. He helped Rick through his leukemia ten years ago. So we did. The last three months we have been battling the disease. Then Wednesday I had a scan and he called me Wednesday afternoon with the best news…..the cancer is gone…see ya.”


The Team Lowe’s Racing Fan Club expects to surpass the million member mark during October. Members receive a free subscription to Track Record – the official fan club magazine four times a year - plus behind-the-scenes race coverage of race weekends, email updates, and members-only discounts on Team Lowe's Merchandise. Club members can interact with Team Lowe's Racing fans across the world on members-only message boards.

To watch a portion of Parsons announcement go to http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7618450354159890482&hl=en

To join the Team Lowe’s Racing fan club go to http://www.lowesracing.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment